Saturday, November 28, 2009

Royale Christmas @ Pavillion KL: Mastercard Debit Not Accepted.

I feel marginalized. and upset.

Let me tell you what happened today.

Can you see the part "Card Type: Mastercard" there?

The promotion that goes in Pavillion printed in their Royale Christmas@Pavillion KL is as follows: 
"Get an instant free gift with RM500 charged to any Mastercard Worldwide" .

The Instant Free Gift? A Loccitane or Kiehl's Gift Set, which in retail price, is  worth more than RM130, given to any "Mastercard Worldwide" holders with the purchase of RM500. 

Today I had made a payment in full, amounting to more than RM500 (RM770) purchase at one of the swanky ladies salon at Seventh Heaven in Pavillion. Yet, I was informed that because it was a Mastercard Debit, I was not entitled to the instant free gift.


Pavillion Brochure-inside of card brochure 1


Pavillion Card- inside of brochure 2


Pavillion outside brochure 3

It is stated on the first brochure (Pavillion Brochure 1) "Get an instant free gift with RM500 charged to any Mastercard Worldwide". As far as the general public is concerned, we are led to believe that Mastercard Worldwide consists of ALL Credit-cards, Debit, Prepaid and Electronic cards under the Mastercard brand.

Here are some questions that I realised: 
  • The brochure DID NOT state which card, country, card type but just "any Mastercard Worldwide".
  • So, does that mean Mastercard Debit does not fall under the "Mastercard Worldwide" umbrella?
  • Does that also mean Mastercard Debit users are not Mastercard users?
When I approached the personnel manning Mastercard- Malaysia Airlines counter in Pavillion Ground Floor, they informed me that this promotion was only provided to Mastercard Credit-Card type users.

From here, it can be seen that the Management from Mastercard is clearly misrepresenting their brand.If Mastercard's Management has no intention of rewarding other card type users, they should have stated clearly in the brochure, and added a disclaimer, as this brochure is given to the general public.

I demand an answer from Mastercard. and Pavillion. It is not a small amount that I have spent, and as a customer, I would have thought that the Mastercard in Malaysia would be honest in its advertising.

Why has the Management from Pavillion allowed the brand Mastercard to provide such misleading information in their brochure, and not treat their customers right?

This misrepresentation causes me to think that the Management of Mastercard has the intention of misleading other Mastercard card type users with no intention of honouring their promotion. Don't you agree so?

If this is the way the misleading advertising has been done, both parties (Mastercard & Pavilion) had better provide some good explanation for us.

This has been a really unsavory experience, and definitely does not feel like a very "Royale Christmas @ Pavillion KL" at all!

Follow Up Entry: The Concierge Manager Called. 

11 comments:

Tammy said...

feel your pain too..

i too had spend a considerate amount of money under this "mastercard/etc card" promotion. My story began at Gardens MV, which is also giving this Mastercard promotion.. enticing customers with gifts from locitane/kiehls.

however there's always a catch..always a clause.. always a hidden statement

now i don't even bothered lookin at the promotions in conjunction with mastercard or gardens MV. I'll roll my eyes when i see the poster.

CheaYee said...

Good good good.. that makes two of us..

LOL.

How dare they put up Mastercard logo, when they have no intention of accepting all Mastercard users??

LIAR!

Jessying said...

Hey girl why didnt you top a bit for Sothy's up to RM800 to be their normal member ? So that you can earn points, redeem gifts and entitle to their different promo every month. This was told my the BA in Bangsar. Well I did my treatment, she is not pushy in her sales and offered me some Sothy's skincare samples in sachets... thats bad you bought package but didnt even giv u some samples to try !!!!

Ah.. thats marketing technique lor.. they are promotion Pavillion EON Bank Mastercard which has more promo..

CheaYee said...

Harlo.... I already bought the Origins Kit-- that one for RM150.
so considered member.

I am not sure about the Rm800 purchase-- but that one is buy Origins Kit, automatically become member.

But they didn't give samples at the Pavillion outlet. Which is rather strange....

how come they so good, give samples to you one?

I also must make noise!!!

CheaYee said...

To all. I have just added this link to the Pavillion KL - Facebook.

I am doing this because I am very upset and aggravated by their misleading Consumer Market Conduct.

It is very unfair to all shoppers involved. Not only am I speaking on behalf of myself, but to the many others out there who don't dare to speak up for themselves.

Wendy Pua said...

Hope They will respone fast ,
if not will spoil their reputation by this issue !
So Pavillion Muz do some action on it !

Life's Simple Pleasures said...

I am shocked by this news! Not just Mastercard but more because of Pavilion! Such a "high class" place like that making hoo hah over a small issue like that.

I wonder if they would do the same to some famous/important people. Would they dare? Maybe we are just not good enough to them.

I do hope they explain themselves to you. In US we could probably sue!

CheaYee said...

Since I returned to KL, and started working here, I have found that many of the locally managed companies are not very concerned of what they put in their advertisements, or how they word it, as long as they get customers to "spend", and "come into their shop".

They seem to have the idea, or don't get the idea that they can be "liable" for what they put in public.

Perhaps I should get Mastercard to refund my purchase, and I will pay by cash to the establishment that I had frequented. That would be a good idea.

As far as I am concerned, I know that Citibank puts disclaimers in their advertisements, as it is a Bank Negara ruling.

If you look at at the recent Citibank advertisements (whether online, or in the newspaper advertisements), they actually state which cards are applicable for their EPP & 2x reward promotions.

That is what is being called "Responsible Advertisement".

If not, their clients will be writing complaint letters to the Citibank Customer Service, just like what I had done when they gave me really bad service at one of their branches.

There is an entry on it somewhere on this blog.

JM Loke said...

Hey Girl,

As I said, more power to you (representing Malaysian consumers)! Do and demand that the merchants treat us with a little more respect!

You are in the forefront of the new wave of consumers who are not only aware of but assert their consumer rights!

Tammy said...

She's one spunky lady who's not about to be taken for a ride & that's good because Malaysia needs a change!

JM Loke said...

Yes Miu, we need more like minded individuals to make a change in Malaysia for the better as it has really become rather unsavory of late.

=(

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails