Sunday, July 12, 2009

"Bring Your Own Bento" to Office: Mission Accomplished!

I have now officially passed my 10th day (In translation = 2 weeks) of bringing a bento to office for my mid-day meal.

After about the first five days of bringing a plastic base square food containers, I switched to using the normal typical Malaysian tiffin food carrier.

Why?
1) Convenience- Plastic base food containers require the use of hot water to remove the oil surface from contact with prepared food that has oil properties, whereas oil does not stick to the surface of the metal tiffin carrier. It really is a time waster.
2) Healthier- I don't have to be worried about eating the oil that may stick to the surface of a tiffin carrier, as that would not happen.

One of the male staff had not washed his plastic bowl after his meals with hot water, and just merely washed it with dish detergent. There were ants crawling all over it!

So yes, Mission Accomplished! I have managed to save some money by bringing my own lunch. However, apart from that too, my main purpose was to eat healthily, and I really need to remind myself that I have to consume less rice so as to lose those kilos which is hazardous being carbs for the physical state of my body that is!!!

If you're wondering, a lot of Australians do bring their own lunch to work. Eating out is very expensive, and a meal out (even at the fairly cheap Hungry Jack's/Burger King) could set you down by AUD6- 8. Hence, it's not uncommon to see many people bring lunchboxes to workplaces. Occassionally, they may eat out, but it's not so common to have lunch out like what you may see in Malaysia.

Many of my friends in Australia bring their own lunch to work. We normally cook for about three day's meal in a row, put them in lunch boxes, and then re-heat them for the day that we need to eat it. Saves heaps of money in that manner. It's just a bit less common to see that happening in Malaysia though... since food here is heaps much more cheaper anytime.

Though so, dinner maybe a different story...

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails