Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Citibank: Experience at the Puchong Branch.



















I finally received my first ever statement for my Malaysian Citibank Savings Acct. statement! I had read somewhere on the Internet that it was difficult to even apply for a savings account in Citibank. Yes, and almost all of that story is true, at least from my experience.

SERVICE NOT UP TO EXPECTATION.

The person who had served me was a Chinese male in the Puchong branch, in his mid 20s to early 30s. I had gone to Puchong to service a client's company, and as there was a branch there, I decided to head over to open an account of the convenience of the location.

But I was not expecting the kind of service that was to be rendered by the staff, who I shall address as "L". I deposited RM250.00 into my account. It was only after depositing the money, and getting my so-called "bank-in slip", and leaving the outlet that I realised that he didn't even provide me the details of my savings account number.

As for the ATM card, I was not even given any information about when it would arrive or how I would get it. So after a week, I called up the Citibank Helpline to enquire about the ATM card, as I thought it would be normal procedure for banks to send cards to the customer's mailing address. I was then informed by the Helpline phone personnel that I could have the card created "on-the-spot" at any Citibank outlet, or sent by mail.

The person who managed my call, was even more surprised to know that I wasn't given the account number, and ATM card. Then she informed me that there was no directive in the Citibank system to create the ATM card!

It was an atrocious service coming from a service-related industry provider, and especially from an International bank like Citibank. Never had I experienced such atrocious service even when opening a new saving accounts at my local Maybank branch.

FOLLOW-UP TO GRIEVANCE PROCESS

Furious, I then forwarded a lengthy e-mail to the Customer Service Dept., of which response time took about 5 days. The Customer Representative waived the Courier fees for my ATM card, but the Processing Fee could not be waived, which was RM8.

I was quite happy, mostly because I did not have to take time off just to return to the Puchong branch to have my card created. To do that, I'd have to get someone to drive me (or borrow someone's car) and take time off during lunch hours for that very purpose.

A few days later, I received in the mail, a Customer Service feedback form which I promptly filled in and sent it off again.

REFLECTION

I'm just happy to not have to waste my time to go all the way to the bank. I had written the letter out of disatissfaction, but happy out of the knowledge that I was not just one who complained but did not do anything about it.

Yes, and also the knowledge that another staff at the Customer Service of an international bank learns the importance of good relationship manners. Which I hope he does know by now what that entails if he performs poorly!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails